The Ed and Mary Heath Foundation has helped the East Texas Crisis Center furnish a family therapy room for the comfort and warmth of mothers and their children receiving therapeutic intervention.
The purpose of the therapeutic intervention for the family as a unit:
- To provide therapeutic intervention for children who have witnessed or experienced family violence.
- To help mothers meet the needs of their children who are typically either acting out aggressively or severely withdrawn as a result of what they experienced
- To help educate and encourage mothers in their relationship with their children to build a healthier family unit.
- To model effective parenting skills for mothers who are often so overwhelmed that they have a difficult time meeting the emotional needs of their children during this time of family crisis.
- Parents can gain insight to their own childhood especially if there were components of neglect or abuse.
- Intervention with the family as a whole is the most effective way to break the cycle of family violence.
Thank you for funding this project.